Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Wednesday Briefers Holiday Short: Cool Countdown


Another holiday short with Juan and Sydney this week, as requested! I was inspired by the prompts: Glass, Glitter and Alcohol. Big thanks to everyone who commented last week.

Cool Countdown


I was eager to get out of my brother’s house. Thirteen days of family time was enough. I had a New Year’s Eve party to go to, thankfully. Sydney was meeting me here, since his family had gotten back late that afternoon from the trip.  Good thing the girls were already in bed. Their sticky little hands often destroyed on my clothes.

Jaime frowned. “You’re going out… in that?”

“Did you just channel Mom?” My mom had been nice, but conservative. Jaime had only been a few years old when our dad remarried, so she was the only mom he remembered. My outfit—skinny jeans and a tight, white t-shirt baring part of my lower belly—was not something Mom would’ve approved of. But hey, it was New Year’s Eve… the last few hours to do all the bad things we’d swear off doing in the 2015.

I hoped to tempt Sydney into some bad things that felt oh so good when the countdown began, though....

There was a knock on the door.

“I’ll get it,” Gloria said.

I rushed to the door. “We don’t need to do the greet the date thing—you guys already know Sydney. I’ve got my keys,” I called over my shoulder as I bolted outside.

“Whoa.” Sydney stepped back as I slammed the door, cutting off any objections from the meddling twosome. “In a hurry?”

I grinned at him. “Just trying to avoid a Christmas Eve repeat.” Sydney filled out his black jeans perfectly, and his shirt was open a few buttons, exposing the top of his smooth, tanned chest. “You look great.”

“You do too, and don’t take this as a request to cover up—ever—but don’t you think the night calls for something a bit warmer?” Sydney had on a wool coat.  

“Damn.” I’d forgotten to grab my jacket. Now that he’d mentioned it, my nipples were hard enough to cut glass. “I have a windbreaker in the car.” The thought of shoving my arms into its chilly sleeves induced a shudder, but it was still better than going back inside. I hurried over to the car to grab my coat.

Putting it on wasn’t much better than freezing without it, at least until the car warmed up. “Thanks for coming to this party with me, especially since you just got home from a trip. We don’t have to stay all night if you’re tired.”

“Now where’s the fun in going to a New Year’s Eve party without staying for the magic moment?” he said. “I’ve been looking forward to getting out for the last two days. Long rides are so boring.”

“If you’re sure.” I wanted to give him a preview of the magic moment, but though he’d kissed me under the mistletoe on Christmas Eve, I didn’t quite have the guts to plant one on him. “So my buddy Tim is throwing this party. He has his own place, though it’s nothing special, and he has a good hook-up to get alcohol. I might have a glass for toasting, but since I’m driving, that’s it. You can have a couple of drinks, if you want.”

“I forget about the whole American twenty-one and over thing. Bunch of rubbish, really. I’m not a big drinker, though, so one is fine.” Sydney buckled his seat belt when I backed out of the driveway. “So tell me about your friends.”

“Well, there’s Tim. I met him on the first day of school. He’s out there, but mostly harmless. Joey and Brendan are together. Brendan’s sister Candace is hilarious, and I think she’s dating a guy on the lacrosse team. Others will be in and out. Tim’s got an open door policy, but his neighbors don’t freak as long as the party stays inside.” I hit the brakes too hard, and Sydney grunted.

“Sorry.” I had to settle down. “Anyway, I’ll introduce you to everyone, but don’t worry about remembering names. Most people crash at Tim’s instead of heading home, and the party started two hours ago, so they’ll have a good head start on the drunkenness.”

“I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

But it wasn’t. Tim said hi when we walked in, his eyes shining, and then left us to mingle. It was the usual craziness, but Sydney charmed everyone. Candace loved his accent; if he hadn’t been gay, she probably would’ve ditched her more-brawn-than-brains jock in a heartbeat.

It was when I left to get us drinks for toasting, right before midnight, that it became glaringly obvious Tim had not stopped at tipsy. I turned around, cups in hand, to see him step into Sydney’s personal space and fondle his crotch.

And Sydney didn’t push him away.

A bolt of hurt hit me. Sure, we’d just met, but it was my first New Year’s with a date. I’d imagined the perfect moment tonight, complete with imaginary glitter and spotlights. Damn Tim for being such a slut—and a shitty friend.

I set down the cups and walked out on the back porch to lean against the rail. A few minutes later someone draped a coat over me.

“What’s with you leaving your coats inside?” Sydney asked.  

I watched the lights begin to flash on the TV through the window. “Needed to cool off.”

“I thought we were going to watch the ball drop together.”

“Really?” I raised one eyebrow, barely keeping a snide remark inside. We’d just met. Sydney didn’t owe me any explanations.

“You saw.”

I shrugged.

“Tim was a bit handsy. I left him on a couch and came to find you.” Sydney turned me as the countdown began and pulled me close.

Five.

“The guy I daydreamed about while stuck in that car.”

Three.

“The guy whose taste I can’t forget.”

One.

“The only one I want tonight.”

It was freezing cold, but his lips were blazing hot as we both leaned forward at the same time. I moaned and wrapped my arms around him until our fronts were pressed together. It looked like those New Year’s resolutions were going to have to wait an extra day, because I wasn’t letting him go anytime soon.

I hope you guys liked this prompt update! Don't forget to check out the rest of the Briefers now.

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!