Friday, December 6, 2013

eBook Review: No Flag by Liz Borino

No FlagNo Flag by Liz Borino
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I tried to read this, stopped in a few pages, tried to read this, stopped in a few pages... The early hook with the dramatic scene into the past plot line drives me bonkers. It colored the story for me and let some of the initial romance down.

That being said, I'm so glad I read the story. Once I got to a certain point the character's bond and the pain/drama they went through reached me and kept me reading. I've had a bit of a thing for military fiction lately, and this fit the bill, but by and far the story focused on Will and Mike.

Domestic discipline stories aren't my usual fare when I read bdsm, but when in context with a loving relationship, it can work. The power dynamic always feels a bit... childish to me, though. But, it works for Mike and Will.

It doesn't work for the supporting characters. Wow. I really felt for Will. He had no true support network, and the very beginning when we hear him say that no one will call him from the military because he isn't Mike's family was very telling. The fact that his friend didn't see through his ruse was telling. I am a big sick of the shrewish/evil/conniving chick character trope, but Casey was a character I'd love to bitch slap, again and again, so her behavior did get a reaction from me.

Overall... smooth reading with a good story pull once you get into it. If you like DD style BDSM, military, hurt/comfort stories or any combo of the above, check out No Flag. I think you'll quite like it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!